In our own R&D Centre we develop modern therapies
Research and development
Cooperation with research centres
For years, Biofarm has been cooperating with foreign and Polish research centres, as well as national and international experts in various fields of science.
Within the framework of our collaboration in the EU projects, scientific and industrial consortia are created to develop innovative research and manufacturing technologies and, as a result, increase the availability of modern medicinal products for patients.
Research & Development Centre
We have over 30 years of experience in developing technology for the production of medicinal products. During this period, we obtained marketing authorizations for around 180 medicinal products and dietary supplements, 80% of which are our own development.
Our Research & Development Centre consists of research and technology laboratories equipped with modern apparatus enabling the development of advanced manufacturing technologies. The Centre employs highly qualified and experienced specialists in chemistry and pharmacy.
State-of-the-art production facility
Biofarm has spent over EUR 25 million in research, development and production facility in the last 13 years. Between 2018-2020 we made a key strategic investment to increase our production area by over 450 m2.
The total value of this modernisation together with the costs of new production equipment amounted to almost EUR 5 million.
Product innovation and patents
Thanks to the exceptional work of our R&D Centre, Biofarm has been able to register 13 patents for innovative formulations, their manufacture and application. These patent applications cover products from the therapeutic areas of oncology, cardiology, psychiatry and internal medicine, among others.
- 2007 – Atrox, first Polish generic atorvastatin,
- 2009 – Bioprazol Bio, first OTC omeprazol in Poland,
- 2012 – Biomentin, first generic memantine in Europe,
- 2014 – Lapixen, first generic lacidipine in Poland, third in Europe,
- 2015 – Ginkofar Extra, first & unique in Poland dose of ginko biloba 240 mg,
- 2016 – Tribux Bio, first in Europe OTC trimebutine,
- 2018 – Proaxon, first & unique medicine in Poland containing citicoline,
- 2018 – Tamivil, first Polish oseltamivir,
- 2018 – First & unique medicine in Poland containing thiocolchicozide,
- 2019 – Noctis, first doxylamine in Poland,
- 2019 – Artigo, first generic medicine containing cinnarizine + dimenhydrinate,
- 2019 – Nebicard, first 10 mg dose of nebivolol in Poland,
- 2019 – Biotynox Forte, first 10 mg biotin medicinal product in Poland,
- 2019 – First calcifediol in Poland.
Research and Development projects
Over the past fifteen years we completed 16 projects co-financed by the European Union, such as:
- Modernization of manufacturing technology and development and launch of two new cardiologic drugs.
- Acquisition of innovative technology that was embraced to develop, manufacture and launch lacidipine, rosuvastatin, levocetirizine.
- Development of innovative synthesis and pharmaceutical form of genistein and testing its efficacy against psoriasis in vivo.
- Investigating and evaluation methods for release and absorption of medicinal products in the gastrointestinal tract.
The total value of all our development projects has exceeded EUR 15 million. This has been supported with grants of ca. EUR 7 million from the European Union. For more details on open EU projects please visit this page.